- Mother tongue: Hungarian.
- English: fluent
- French: fluent
2012 Full Professor (Főiskolai tanár in Hungarian, Ordentlicher Hochschulprofessor in German) nominated by the prime minister of Hungary: http://www.magyarkozlony.hu/pdf/11666#page=4.
1995 Executive Master of Business Administration (MBA). Degree jointly awarded by Krannert Graduate School of Management at PURDUE University, USA, and International Management Center at ESC ROUEN (Ecole Supérieure de Commerce de ROUEN), France.
1983 Doctorate in Mathematics
(Operations Research), Loránd Eötvös University, Budapest,
Thesis: The Binary Knapsack Problem. New results improving the performance of algorithms. Extensive computational experiments.
1977 Diploma in Mathematics, Loránd
Eötvös University, Budapest, Hungary.
Thesis: The Size Reduction of Large Knapsack Problems.
2003 IST-Mentor training on in depth needs and opportunities in the IST (Information Society Technologies) programme of the European Union for R&D project consultancy, INNOVA (Italian consultancy specializing in IST), Hungarian IST National Contact Point (Ministry of Education, Research and Development Division).
2001 SPICE 2.0 (ISO/IEC 15504) official Software Process Improvement and Capability dEtermination Assessor Training, ZF Friedrichshafen AG, Friedrichshafen, Germany.
2001 SEI Introduction to the Capability Maturity Model – Integrated, Continuous Representation, v1.02, official Software Engineering Institute (SEI), USA certificate.
2001 Practical issues of the introduction of the ISO 9001:2000 standard, certificate issued by the Hungarian Chapter of the European Organization for Quality (EOQ).
2000 Executive MBA course on Creating Successful E-Business Strategies. Krannert Graduate School of Management at PURDUE University
1999 Executive MBA courses on Management Information Systems and International Finance. Krannert Graduate School of Management at PURDUE University.
1998 Seminar on Total Quality Management, Business Process Reengineering, Benchmarking, and Customer Loyalty. Certificate awarded by the Juran Institute.
1997 Professional Training Seminar on Implementing ISO 9000 for IT Professionals. Certificate awarded by the British Frost & Sullivan firm.
1996 Internal Quality System Auditor Training Certificate given by TÜV Rheinland Hungaria VRF.
1993 Bootstrap Assessor, Certificate of the Bootstrap Institute European Economic Interest Group whose mission is the continous development of the Bootstrap software process quality assessment and improvement methodology.
1993 Course on Software Quality: Methods and Systems (ISO 9000). Certificate awarded by the British Kaposi Associates Partnership.
2010 John von Neumann award for outstanding achievements in the field of computing and in the dissemination of computer science.
2001 Award of the Computer and Automation Institute of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences.
1998 Award of the Computer and Automation Institute of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences.
1996 Award of the Computer and Automation Institute of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences.
1991 Scientific Literature Award of the Hungarian Association for Transportation Science.
1982 Junior Award of the Computer and Automation Institute of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences.
2012-present Software Competence Center Hagenberg GmbH (SCCH)
- Key Researcher Process and Quality Engineering
2010-2011 Dennis Gabor College, the pioneering European private higher-education and vocational
training institution in the field of informatics.
- Associate Professor.
- Project Director.
2002-2010 Budapest University of Economic
Sciences and Public Administration renamed to
Corvinus University of Budapest in 2004.
- Associate Professor (2002-) with habilitation (2009-).
- Dissertation Supervisor of the Doctoral School in Business Informatics.
- Responsible for the design and delivery of the mandatory Software Engineering course of the Doctoral School in Business Informatics.
- Responsible for the design and delivery of Software Engineering courses in the B.Sc. Programme in Business Informatics.
- Leading thesis development seminars.
- Initiating and managing the Hungarian participation in European projects (see under Project and Management Experience)
including the Fortius Leonardo da Vinci project which was awarded the Quality Prize of the Spanish Ministry of Education, Social Politics and Sports in 2008.
1997-1998 Technical University of
- Participation in the design and delivery of a Ph.D. course on Software Engineering and Multimedia.
1996-present Loránd Eötvös University, Budapest
- Founding member of the Doctoral School in Informatics.
- Participation in the design and delivery of a Ph.D. course on Software Quality and Testing.
- Design and delivery of a Ph.D. course on Software Quality Management.
1995 Technical University of
- Design and delivery of a lecture on Operations Research Models for Banking Decision Support in the framework of the postgraduate program in Bank Informatics.
1993-1998 Lajos Kossuth University,
- Design and delivery of a course on Software Quality Management.
1991-present IT Information Technology
- Managing director.
and Automation Institute, Hungarian Academy of Sciences (MTA
- Head of the Hungarian Software Engineering Institute (HUSEI) (2000-2001).
- Head of the Information Society Liaison Office for the EU 5th Framework Programme in Hungary (1999-2001)
- Head of Quality Management. (1997-2001)
- Research associate and project manager.
1987-1994 Loránd Eötvös University, Budapest
- Part-time teaching at the Department of Operations Research. Design and delivery of courses in Integer Programming and Operations Research Models.
1986-1987 St.John's University, New York
- Assistant Professor. Designed and delivered courses in Mathematics, Computer Science, and Operations Research.
1985-1986 Baruch College, The City University of New
- Substitute Assistant Professor. Taught courses in Mathematics, and Computer Science.
1983-1985 Rutgers The State University of
- Lecturer in Mathematics, and Teaching Assistant in Computer Science.
and Automation Institute, Hungarian Academy of Sciences (MTA
- Research associate.
1977-1983 Loránd Eötvös University, Budapest
- Part-time teaching. Taught Operations Research.
- Initiator of the membership and representative of Dennis Gabor College in Informatics Europe, the association of computer science departments and research laboratories in Europe and neighbouring areas, since 2011.
- Editorial Board of the International Journal of Human Capital and Information Technology Professionals (IJHCITP), since 2011.
- Editorial Board of the e-Informatica Software Engineering Journal, since 2010.
- member of the Public Body of the Hungarian Academy of Science
- member of The SPICE User Group coordinating the activities related to the International Standard ISO/IEC 15504 for (Software) Process Assessment, since 2007.
- Founding member of iNTCCM - international Certification of Configuration Management association, since 2006.
- Coordinator of the IFIP TC-2 Manfred Paul Award, since 2006.
- Hungarian member of Technical Committee 2 (TC-2) Software: Theory and practice of the International Federation for Information Processing (IFIP) , since 2001.
- Member of the Board of Trustees of the European Software Institute (ESI), 2001-2002.
- Member of the Organization or Programme Committees of international scientific and professional conferences.
- ESI&ISCN 1997 Conference on "Cooperation and Business Opportunities for Eastern/Western European countries in the IT field. Practical Improvement of Software Processes and Products", Budapest, 1997.
- ESCOM-SCOPE 99 Maximising Quality and Managing Risk "Optimising Software Development and Maintenance", Herstmonceux Castle, England, 27-29 April 1999.
- ESCOM-SCOPE 2000 "Controlling Software Projects: The Human Factor", Munich, Germany, 18th - 20th April 2000.
- ESCOM 2001 "Satisfying the Customer", 2-4 April 2001, London, England.
- EuroSPI’2001 Conference, Theme 2001: The Combination of Methodologies, Tools, and Cultural Factors The Holistic Approach, 10-12.10.2001, Limerick Institute of Technology, Limerick, Ireland.
- EuroSPI’2002 Conference, Theme 2002: Process Improvement, Methodologies, Technologies, Cultural Factors, and Knowledge, 18-20.9.2002, Georg Ohm Fachhochschule, Nürnberg, Germany.
- EuroSPI’2003 Conference, Theme 2003: Process Improvement Methodologies and Technologies, Business Strategies, Human Factors, Knowledge, and Innovation, 10-12.12.2003, Graz, Austria.
- EuroSPI’2004 Conference, 10-12.11.2004, Trondheim, Norway.
- EuroSPI’2005 Conference, 9-11.11.2005, Budapest, Hungary. (Local chair)
- EuroSPI’2006 Conference, 11-13.10.2006, Joensuu, Finland.
- EuroSPI’2007 Conference, 26-28 September 2007, Potsdam, Germany.
- CEE-SET 2007, (Steering Committee member) 2nd IFIP Central and East European Conference on Software Engineering Techniques, October 10-12, 2007, Poznań (Poland)
- ICSSEA’2007, 20th International Conference on Software & Systems Engineering and their Applications, 4-6 December 2007 - Conservatoire National des Arts et Métiers - Paris, France.
- SEESE ICSE 2008 Workshop: Software Engineering in East and South Europe (SEESE), May 13, 2008, Leipzig, Germany.
- CEE-SET 2008, (Steering Committee member) 3rd IFIP Central and East European Conference on Software Engineering Techniques, October 13-15, 2008, Brno (Czech Republic).
- CEE-SET 2009, (Steering Committee member) 4th IFIP Central and East European Conference on Software Engineering Techniques, October 12-14, 2009, Krakow (Poland).
- Software Quality Days 2012 (Scientific Track), 17-19. of January 2012, Vienna, Austria.
- SOFSEM 2012 (Software & Web Engineering Track), International Conference on Current Trends in Theory and Practice of Computer Science, January 21–27, 2012, Špindlerův Mlýn, Czech Republic.
- European Organisation for Quality, Hungarian National Chapter, since 1997.
- Editorial Board of the Software Manintenance and Evolution journal (incorporating now Sotfware Process Improvement and Practice) published by Jonh Wiley & Sons, since 1996.
- Joint Healthcare Software Certification Body of the Hungarian Health Informatics Society and the John von Neumann Computer Society, since 1995.
- Hungarian Quality Society, since 1994.
- International Federation for Information Processing (IFIP) Working Group 8.3 on Decision Support Systems, since 1992.
- EURO Working Group on Decision Support Systems, since 1992.
- Hungarian Operations Research Society, founding member since 1991.
Mathematical methods in environmental sciences
Software Engineering Management
- Quality Standards
- Process Assessment and Improvement
- Business Motivations for Software Process Improvement
and Negotiation Support Systems, Computer-Supported Cooperative Work
- Multiple-attribute utility decomposition based techniques.
- Theory of social choice (voting).
- The role of deep knowledge in group decision and negotiation support.
- The impact of research in cognitive psychology on group decision support.
interaction techniques for modeling decision problems
- End-user modeling.
- Spreadsheet-based model building.
- Multiple criteria group decision support.
- Object-oriented interaction.
- Distributed object management systems.
- Integer Programming.
- Network Flows.
- Cutting problems.
- Graph coloring.
- Resource-constrained scheduling, aircraft maintenance scheduling.
- Refereed international periodicals (Upgrade Cepis the European Journal for the Informatics Professional, Lecture Notes in Computer Science /Springer Verlag/ (1, 2), Software Process Improvement and Practice /Wiley InterScience/ (1, 2), Software Quality Professional /ASQ (1, 2), American Society for Quality/, European Journal of Operational Research, Zeitschrift für Angewandte Mathematik und Mechanik, Optimization, Information Processing Letters, Discrete Mathematics, Journal of Advanced Transportation, Acta Cybernetica, Lecture Notes in Control and Information Sciences /Springer Verlag/ (1)),
- Hungarian periodicals (Journal for Applied Mathematics, Review of Transportation Science),
- Conference proceedings,
- Co-author of English and Hungarian language books pertinent to operations management, software engineering, software quality management, and decision support systems.
2011-2013 Initiation and management of the Hungarian participation in the ECQA Certified Social Media Networker (SIMS) Transfer of innovation (TOI) project carried out with the financial support of the European Commission under the Leonardo da Vinci Programme.
2010-2012 Initiation and management of the Hungarian participation in the SOCIRES Social Responsibilities Training and Certification Schema project no. 510098-2010-LLP-SI-LEONARDO-LMP carried out with the financial support of the European Commission under the Leonardo da Vinci Programme.
2008-2010 Initiation and management of the Hungarian participation in the EU Cert (European Innovation and Training Campus) project no. 135691-LLP-1-2007-1-AT-KA3-KA3MP carried out with the financial support of the European Commission under the Leonardo da Vinci Programme.
2008-2011 Initiation and management of the Hungarian participation in the ELM (E-Learning Manager) project no. LLP/LdV/TOI/2008/IRL-507 carried out with the financial support of the European Commission under the Leonardo da Vinci Programme.
2008-2010 Initiation and management of the Hungarian participation in the Touareg (TOUrism PlAtform for euRopean Educational Games) project no. ES/07/LLP-LdV/TOI/149018 carried out with the financial support of the European Commission under the Leonardo da Vinci Programme.
2006-2008 Initiation of the Hungarian participation in the Mlearning (The role of mobile learning in European education) project no. 227828-CP-1-2006-1-IE-MINERVA-MPP carried out with the financial support of the European Commission under the Minerva action of the Socrates programme.
2006-2008 Initiation of the Hungarian participation in the IMPACT (The impact of new technologies on distance learning students) project no. IE/06/C/F/RF-81300 carried out with the financial support of the European Commission under the Leonardo da Vinci Programme.
2006-2007 Initiation and management of the Hungarian participation in the PLATO (ICT Platform for Online Learning and Experiences Accreditation in the Mobility Programme) project carried out with the financial support of the European Commission under the eLearning programme.
2005-2007 Initiation and management of the Hungarian participation in the EQN (European Quality Network) project no. A/05/B/F/NT-158.234 carried out with the financial support of the European Commission under the Leonardo da Vinci Programme.
2005-2007 Initiation and management of the Hungarian participation in the Incorporating mobile learning into mainstream education and training project no. IRL/05/B/FPP-153.100 carried out with the financial support of the European Commission under the Leonardo da Vinci Programme.
2004-2007 Initiation and management of the Hungarian participation in the Fortius (Reforzando la capacitación de estudiantes y titulados de Ciencias Sociales y Económicas en un espacio europeo de aprendizaje permanente) project no. E/04/B/F/PP-149.157 carried out with the financial support of the European Commission under the Leonardo da Vinci Programme which was awarded the Quality Prize of the Spanish Ministry of Education, Social Politics and Sports (Corvinus University News) on 11th December 2008.
2004 Introduction of the Technology Transfer Center of the Budapest University of Economic Sciences and Public Administration, as well as presentation of 10 years of Software Process Improvement research and initiatives in Hungary at the first meeting of the German-Hungarian initiative for cooperation in IT education (and research) organized at the National Office of Research and Technology.
2003-2007 Initiation and management of the Hungarian participation in the GUIDE (Government User IDentity for Europe - Creating a European standard for interoperable and secure Identity Management Architecture for eGovernment) Integrated Project no. 507498 under the IST Programme of the 6th Framework Programme of the European Union co-ordinated by British Telecommunications plc (BT).
2003-2006 Initiation and management of the Hungarian participation in the mLearning (Mobile Learning: The Next Generation Of Learning) project no. IRL/03/B/F/PP-153111 carried out with the financial support of the European Commission under the Leonardo da Vinci Programme.
2003-2006 Initiation and management of the Hungarian participation in the Virtual Classrooms in educational provision project no. 110208-CP-1-2003-1-IE-MINERVA-M carried out with the financial support of the European Commission under the Minerva action of the Socrates programme.
2003-2006 Initiation and management of the Hungarian participation in the epi (Educational Partnerships through ICT) project no. 110680-CP-1-2003-1-IE-MINERVA-M carried out with the financial support of the European Commission under the Minerva action of the Socrates programme.
2003 Participation in the design and delivery of a training course on Project Management for the Hungarian State Tax Authority.
2003 Study for the Communications Authority of Hungary about the impact of software product and process certification on the control of information security, and suggestions to the development of a national system.
2002 Development of a software reliability certification methodology for the Communications Authority of Hungary.
2002 Participation in the project developing an Audit methodology of the billing systems of telecommunication service providers for SGS Hungaria Ltd.
2002 Assessment of software products and processes, training course for the Communications Authority of Hungary.
2001-2004 Participation in project no. NKFP 2/021/2001 on Demand driven tools and systems of the information society carried out under the Hungarian National Research and Development Programme.
2001-2002 Initiation and management of the Hungarian participation in the WG-ECUA (the European COTS ~Commercial Off-The-Shelf components User Working Group) network project no. IST-2000-26436 created under the IST Programme of the 5th Framework Programmeof the European Union co-ordinated by the European Software Institute (ESI).
2001 Initiation of the Hungarian participation in the CBSENet Component-Based Software Engineering Network of Excellence project of the IST (Information Society Technologies) Programme of the European Commission.
2001 Initiation of the Best Practice in E-Commerce and Job Role Qualifications project no. HU/01/B/F/PP-136012 to be co-ordinated by MTA SZTAKI with the financial support of the European Commission under the Leonardo da Vinci Programme.
2001 Initiation of and contribution to a software test specification project performed by MTA SZTAKI for NOKIA Hungary.
2001 ISO 9000:2000 training course for Ericsson in Hungary.
2000-2001 Head of the Hungarian Software Engineering Institute (HUSEI) operating under the auspices of MTA SZTAKI with the mission of creating and maintaining an adaptive environment for the effective transfer of knowledge and skills to improve the software engineering capabilities of industry and academia in Hungary. Organized the first “Introduction to CMM” course in Hungary in the year 2000 and jointly delivered the first “CMMI Briefing” course in Hungary in 2001.
2000-2001 Initiation and management of the Hungarian participation in the IDEALIST-5FP information dissemination and European awareness launch project for the IST Programme of the European Commission.
1999-2001 Initiation and management of project no.ALK-00718/99 (KÖRTER~Környezetérzékeny területhasznosítási rendszer) supported by OMFB (Hungarian National Committee for Technological Development) whose objective is the development of an environmentally sensitive system for land exploitation.
1999-2001 Initiation and management of the activities of the Information Society Technologies Liaison Office for the European Union's 5th Framework Programme in Hungary.
1998-present Initiation and management of the Hungarian membership in the EuroScope network of European organizations providing software product quality evaluation service.
1998-2000 Initiation and management of the Central and Eastern European participation in the RiskDRIVER Risk Management for Software Process Improvement Leveraging Action no.27890 of the ESPRIT programme of the European Commission.
1997-1998 Management of the consulting project leading to the development of the ISO 9001 compliant quality system of the informatics department of a the Hungarian Development Bank Ltd.
1998-2000 Initiation and management of the Hungarian participation in the IDEALIST-East information dissemination project of the European Commission.
1997-1999 Initiation and management of the Hungarian participation in the ESSI/SCOPE software product quality related project of the European Commission.
1997-1998 Initiation and management of the consulting activities of the first Central and Eastern European ESSI (European Systems and Software Initiative) PIE (Process Improvement Experiment) PASS (Pay Roll Accounting and Settlement System) directly supported by the European Commission.
1997-1998 Management of consulting activities for deploying quality assurance for the KATOR database development project performed for Hungarian central administration by EDS Hungary.
1996-1999 Initiation and management of the Hungarian participation in the European Commission supported INCO COPERNICUS/INSPIRE (Initiative for Software Process Improvement Regions Exterieures) project.
1996-1998 Initiation and management of the participation of MTA SZTAKI in the European LEONARDO/PICO (Process Improvement Combined apprOach) vocational training project.
1996-1997 Initiation and management of a project whose objective is the licensing and use of the MicroSCOPE software product quality evaluation methodology developed by the Danish DELTA firm on the basis of the results of the ESPRIT/SCOPE project.
1996-1997 Initiation and management of a project supported by OMFB (Hungarian National Committee for Technological Development) whose objective is the development of a methodology for dynamic landscape assessment.
1996-1997 Initiation of the participation of MTA SZTAKI in the Web4Groups project running in the framework of the European Commission's Telematics Applications Programme.
1996-1997 Management of an information technology consulting project for the Hungarian Paks Nuclear Power Plant.
1996-1997 Initiation and management of the development and TÜV CERT certification of the ISO 9001 compliant quality system of the Informatics and Systems and Control Divisions of MTA SZTAKI. Head of Quality Management.
1995-1997 Participation in the development and marketing of the Hungarian Pro Patiente Health and Medicine World-Wide Web home page.
1995-present Foundation and management of the professional Division for Software Quality Management of the John von Neumann Computer Society.
1995-present Initiation and management of the corporate membership of MTA SZTAKI in the European Software Institute (ESI).
1995-2000 Initiation and management of the participation of MTA SZTAKI in the ESSI/VASIE (Value Added Software Information for Europe) project.
1993-1996 Management of relationships between MTA SZTAKI and the Hungarian Health Insurance Administration.
1994-1995 Management of a pilot project for the introduction of electronic data interchange (EDI) applications in Hungary.
1993-present Initiation and management of activities related to the Bootstrap Institute European Economic Interest Group membership of MTA SZTAKI and to the Bootstrap software process maturity assessment methodology which is applied to Hungarian software producing units with the objective of improving their quality systems.
1993-1997 Preparation and management of the National Point of Contact activities of MTA SZTAKI for the European Space Agency Information Retrieval Service (ESA IRS).
1991-1993 Leading a team of 6-10 persons developing a distributed object management environment and its application for distributed negotiation support. (Microsoft Windows, HP LAN Manager, HP ARPA Services, HP AdvanceLink for Windows, Microsoft Excel, TCP/IP, Hewlett Packard's NewWave)
1991-1992 Participation in the EUREKA Project 334 (EuroCASE) in cooperation with the Institute for Information Systems of Joanneum Research, Graz, Austria. (ORACLE, Microsoft Excel, Pioneer Software's Q+E)
1988-1991 Leading a team of 3-5 persons developing new generation tools for the identification of decision problems and their solution methods. The first version and the fundamental concepts and tools of the WINGDSS Group Decision Support System were developed by this team, followed by further versions with new ideas and applications. (C, Microsoft Windows)
1988 Design and coding on an IBM personal computer of the MIRES module for the allocation of resources to activities in a project management system. (Turbo Pascal)
1988 Design and coding on an IBM PC of the MILPMENU user-view based model management system. (Turbo Pascal)
1987 Participation in the coding of a Management Information System for the Ikarus Vehicle Manufacturing Company. (DBASE III Plus)
1977-1982 Participation in the design and development of a production planning system for the Danubian Steel Works. (PL/I)
1977-1982 Participation in the object-oriented design and coding of an Integer Programming System. (VM/CMS, SIMULA-67)
- British Standards Institution (BSI)
Course for professional quality managers in Ankara (Turkey) introducing software process improvement and the SPICE (ISO/IEC 15504) standard.
- National Accreditation Body (Hungary) (Nemzeti Akkreditáló
Evaluator of Erasmus Multilateral Project proposals.
- Economic and Social Research Council
(ESRC) established by Royal Charter, funded through the UK Department
for Innovation, Universities and Skills
Invited End of Award rapporteur.
Reviewer of the book Quality Management in Software Development (Minôségmenedzsment a szoftverfejlesztésben) by Balla, Katalin.
- Agency for Research Fund Management and Research Exploitation (KPI) of the Hungarian National Office for Research and Technology
Evaluator of project proposals under the Ányos Jedlik Programme.
Evaluator of project proposals in the Erasmus Mundus higher education co-operation and mobility programme.
- Ministry of Informatics and
Communication of Hungary
Invited member of the evaluation committee of proposals for ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) systems introduction into SME’s (Small and medium enterprises).
- National Policy and Advisory Board
for Enterprise, Trade, Science, Technology & Innovation in Ireland (Forfás)
Invited peer reviewer of Irish national and international ICT research and development proposals.
- European Commission Information Society Directorate-General
Evaluator of project proposals in the Component-based software engineering action line of the European Union’s Information Society Technologies Programme.
- IEEE Computer Society
- Hungarian Investment and Trade
Development Company (ITD Hungary)
Invited member of the preparation and evaluation committee of the tender for the introductory study and strategy development of the Group Marketing Programme of Competitive Hungarian Information Technology Products and Services.
- Research and
Development Division of the Hungarian Ministry of Education
Invited expert contributing to the assessment of the state of Hungarian software industry.
- United Nations Industrial
Development Organization (UNIDO)
Invited expert in decision support for international meetings on environmental impact assessment, small and medium enterprise management, information systems development, and computerized tools for industrial planning.
National Committee for Technological Development (OMFB)
Invited expert for the appraisal of project achievements in the fields of expert systems, production control systems, decision support systems, information and communication technologies.
- Hungarian Airlines (MALÉV)
Studies and proposals for computerized flight schedule construction and aircraft maintenance scheduling support systems.
Systems and Software Initiative (ESSI)
Project final report reviewer.
- Etnoteam, European Observatory on Software Engineering
Invited speaker at the CQS '95 keynote session. IT Market and Software Industry in Hungary.
- International Software Consulting
Senior Consultant Membership awarded.
- Brasilian National Industrial
Training Service (SENAI)
Consultant in Software Quality Management, Electronic Data Interchange (EDI), Internet Applications, and Groupware.